In this episode, Justin speaks with Aaron Francis about being a new parent and trying to bootstrap a startup. Aaron argued the other side of Justin's tweet thread: "Wait until your kids are older to start a company." Aaron is well-positioned to talk about this because he has twins and is also bootstrapping Hammerstone with his co-founder Colleen. The whole conversation is a nuanced take on the topic and full of important insights, especially on:
- the risks involved (especially if you're not working a full-time job)
- the kind of foundation (mentally, financially, emotionally, relationally) you need to be able to take the risk
Highlights from this episode:
- (00:12) - Welcome Aaron
- (01:10) - Topic introduction
- (02:22) - What's Aaron's story?
- (05:28) - What is a maximum effort era?
- (10:56) - What are you willing to sacrifice?
- (15:17) - What's your daily routine like?
- (17:30) - Context matters in all of this
- (28:01) - Are you sacrificing social connections?
- (30:53) - Blind spots can affect you on your journey
- (33:23) - Pain vs risk
- (37:43) - Being on the same page as your partner
- (41:47) - Going to therapy sooner
- (43:51) - Building a good foundation
- (48:51) - Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
- (53:54) - Sometimes it's easier to try getting a better job
- (01:02:42) - Where can people reach Aaron?
Thanks to our monthly supporters
- Pascal from sharpen.page
- Greg Park
- Mitchell Davis from RecruitKit.com.au
- Marcel Fahle, wearebold.af
- Ethan Gunderson
- Bill Condo (@mavrck)
- Ward from MemberSpace.com
- Russell Brown from Photivo.com
- Evandro Sasse
- Michael Sitver
- Dan Buda
- Colin Gray
- Dave Giunta
★ Support this podcast on Patreon ★