Wrestling with our company's growth
Should we aggressively go after the market?
Jon and Justin are wrestling with thoughts about growth:
- "Our current rate of growth is nice: it feels sustainable." – Justin
- "It feels less sustainable for me, because I'm working a full-time job." – Jon
- We’re able to keep up with demand, and enjoy the process.
- There are all these stories about folks whose companies are growing like crazy. They’re just always adding more people, more process, more stress. Do we want that?
- Peldi tells this story about starting Balsamiq. He said his launch was like “holding on to a rocket ship with his fingernails.”
- Some folks would say we should be capturing more of the market. There’s this idea that you can’t be satisfied with what you have. That you have to juice every bit of growth you can.
- But then you’re building all of these dependencies that you have to keep up even when the market goes down.
★ Thanks to our sponsors:
- Balsamiq: If you’d like to help in make Balsamiq Wireframes better, and help them shape the future of wireframing, join their Customer Advisory Board at balsamiq.com/support/makeusbetter
- Clubhouse.io: Clubhouse is the first project management platform for software development that brings everyone together. It's designed for developers, but product folks, marketing, support folks love using it. Get two months free: clubhouse.io/build.
- Greg Wade, the baker that Jon apprenticed with, just won a James Beard award.
- Peldi's interview on Indie Hackers.
- Paul Jarvis on growth and sustainability.
- Bootstrapped Web podcast: Jordan loves building his team.
You can reply to this podcast here:
- Leave a comment on Breaker, the podcast app for Android and iPhone.
- Leave a comment on CastBox, the podcast app for Android and iPhone.
- Otherwise, get us on Twitter: @transistorfm or email us: email@example.com
Thanks to our monthly supporters:
- Miguel Piedrafita
- Shane Smith
- Austin Loveless
- Simon Bennett - SnapShooter
- Corey Haines
- Michael Sitver
- Paul Jarvis and Jack Ellis
- Dan Buda
- Darby Frey
- Samori Augusto
- Dave Young
- Brad from Canada
- Kevin Markham
- Sammy Schuckert
- Dan Ericson
- Mike Walker
- Adam DuVander
- Dave Giunta (JOOnta)