We need to talk
How to communicate (and make decisions) with your co-founder.
What’s been happening?
- Is the Macbook Pro 2013 the best computer ever made?
- Jon's review of the new Macbook Pro: the screen, the keyboard, the thinness are great. He doesn't like the touchbar, and it crashed a lot initially.
- Thanks to Bill for the Spotify introduction!
- We tried out Amazon Transcribe and it was hilarious
Main topic: Partner communication, making decisions
We got a question on Twitter from Dennis Martinez:
“How often do you both keep in touch with each other talking about the product in an average day/week? How important is daily communication?”
Jon and Justin have different decision making styles:
- Justin is "quick start." He likes to make decisions quickly, and have a fast momentum.
- Jon is more thoughtful and detail-oriented.
Having this balance is important!
How we communicate:
- Daily communication: Slack
- Weekly call: Skype
- How we make decisions: consensus.
- This is the benefit of doing a small project before you launch something bigger.
- Example: where are we going for lunch? (XOXO), what source control are we going to use? (small project we did before Transistor)
- Partner with someone who is trustworthy, autonomous.
- Make sure there's enough overlap in your timezone.
- Ensure your co-founder has enough time to dedicate to the project.
- Justin's mic: ATR2100 USB
- Kyle Fox doesn't like the new Macbook Pro
- Spotify's podcast program
- Amazon Transcribe
- Indie Hackers
- Justin's article on Walt and Roy Disney
- Transistor.fm on Instagram
- Transistor.fm on Twitter