Becoming a better leader, so that your product can grow and thrive.
Taylor Otwell, is the founder of Laravel, a programming framework for PHP. But he's also one of the most successful indie SaaS operators I know. In this episode we discuss:
- 0:30 – Taylor is changing how he hires and manages people at Laravel
- 6:01 – How Taylor is finding new employees to work on Forge, Vapor, and his other products
- 7:34 – The Laravel ecosystem has incubated incredible talent: Miguel Piedrafita, Caleb Porzio, Adam Wathan, Aaron Francis, Jack Ellis...
- 10:03 – More and more indie SaaS apps are being built in Laravel
- 10:48 – When is the next Laracon conference?
- 13:11 – Taylor Otwell has the classic bootstrap success story
- 14:28 – Laravel has been running too lean
- 17:00 – What's it like to work as a developer at Laravel? (pair programming)
- 18:33 – How Taylor does product development
- 22:08 – "I haven't told anyone this yet, but I actually considered selling Laravel this past year." Here's why Taylor decided not to sell.
- 26:30 – How do you deal with internet fame, and being a "known person?"
- 28:59 – Dealing with haters on Twitter
- 31:50 – What is the future of web development, and the full-stack developer? What is the future of Ruby on Rails and Laravel?
- 35:53 – Building excitement around PHP and Laravel with young people.
- 42:13 – What inspires kids to get into programming? When it's fun, easy, accessible. This is why so many people started with Hypercard, Microsoft Access, PHP, Adobe Flash...
What should we talk about next?
- Twitter: @buildyoursaas, @mijustin, @jonbuda, @jsonpearl, and @helenryles
- Leave a review/comment on Podchaser; it's like Reddit, but for podcasts.
- Email us: email@example.com
Thanks to our monthly supporters:
- Jason Charnes
- Mitchell Davis from RecruitKit.com.au
- Marcel Fahle, wearebold.af
- Alex Payne
- Bill Condo
- Anton Zorin from ProdCamp.com
- Harris Kenny, Intro CRM podcast
- Oleg Kulyk
- Ethan Gunderson
- Chris Willow
- Ward Sandler, Memberspace
- Russell Brown, Photivo.com
- Noah Prail
- Colin Gray
- Austin Loveless
- Michael Sitver
- Paul Jarvis and Jack Ellis, Fathom
- Dan Buda
- Darby Frey
- Brad from Canada
- Adam DuVander
- Dave Giunta (JOOnta)
- Kyle Fox GetRewardful.com
Want to start a programming podcast on Transistor? Justin has a special coupon for you: get 15% off your first year of hosting: transistor.fm/justin★ Support this podcast on Patreon ★