Justin catches up with his old internet friend Paul Jarvis. Today, Paul co-founded Fathom Analytics with Jack Ellis: a simple alternative to Google Analytics. Paul is also the author of the book "Company of One," which has influenced a whole generation of indie entrepreneurs (and has been reviewed by Cal Newport, Chris Guillebeau, Ben Chestnut, Tiago Forte, and more). Previously, Justin and Paul did a weekly mastermind, where they supported and encouraged each other around our indie businesses. They decided to do a catch-up call and recorded it so you could listen in. 👍
- (00:10) - Intro
- (02:20) - Being off the internet
- (03:58) - What's a typical day for Paul?
- (06:21) - Looking back at our Mastermind call
- (08:08) - There's no beginning and no end
- (10:36) - Things that are out of your control affect your business
- (13:08) - Does Justin's surfing metaphor make sense to a surfer?
- (16:11) - How would you start an indie business in 2023?
- (22:05) - You've got to get in motion
- (25:08) - Using products in your category for a long time
- (27:53) - Is there still any room in Saas?
- (31:56) - The act of making the bet
- (38:45) - Is freelancing still viable in 2023?
- (42:55) - Company design is lifestyle design
- (45:00) - Worrying about being stagnant
- (47:20) - How do you handle customer feature requests?
- (52:08) - It's ok to be late to a shift in the market
- (58:24) - Caring is an indie advantage
- (01:05:05) - Collaboration is what gets us anywhere
- Fathom Analytics (get $10 off)
- Book: Company of One
- Article: How to Start a Mastermind
- Wayback Machine: Mint Analytics
- Article: Why we moved from courses to SaaS
- Self-Publishing Hangout: Paul Jarvis, Nathan Barry, Sacha Greif, Justin Jackson
- Pascal from sharpen.page
- Greg Park
- Mitchell Davis from RecruitKit.com.au
- Marcel Fahle, wearebold.af
- Ethan Gunderson
- Bill Condo (@mavrck)
- Ward from MemberSpace.com
- Russell Brown from Photivo.com
- Evandro Sasse
- Michael Sitver
- Dan Buda
- Colin Gray
- Dave Giunta