It's just too much
What happens when your SaaS grows 300% over the quarantine?
This week on the program, Justin and Jon talk about:
- A friend, whose SaaS has grown 300% since the beginning of the quarantine. They just hit $6k in MRR.
- At that stage, he's in the "almost but not yet."
- You're either:
- Brainstorming how to make money faster
- Brainstorming how to work less
- Different stages:
- Pre-launch stage: you're working on your product on the side. It's fun! There's nothing stealing your time and attention because you don't have customers yet.
- The beta stage: still pretty fun! You have a few customers who are using your product, and maybe paying you money.
- The "launched" stage: now, you have way more users. Now you're doing way more customer support, responding to feature requests.
- How much did we work when we were building Transistor?
- Jon figures we spent 45 to 60 hours a week (each).
- Jason Calacanis’ tweet: "It takes 100 hours per week to build a business!"
- “Good businesses have margin."
- Josh Wood: "At Honeybadger, we work 30 hours per week."
- Margin gives you the opportunity, as a founder, to live beyond your keyboard. To engage with the world.
- Sandy Hudson (Sandra & Nora podcast): "The quarantine gave people the time and space to wrestle with the current moment."
- The Dept of Veteran Affairs
- "As your little baby Rails app grows up, you can't just run everything on the same service."
- "The whole internet is just patchwork of pipes and duct tape."
You can reply to this podcast here:
- Twitter: @buildyoursaas, @mijustin, @jonbuda
- Leave a comment on PodHunt; it's like Reddit, but for podcasts.
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
★ Bootstrapper shout-out of the week:
- Cloud base accounting software and services for non-accountants. This used to be owned by Allan Branch (Paul Kogan owns it now). It’s specifically designed for small businesses with 1-25 employees and contractors
Thanks to our monthly supporters:
- Colt Borg
- Marc Beinder
- Anton Zorin
- Bill Condo
- Sofia Quintero
- Chris Willow
- Mason Hensley
- Borja Soler teami.io
- Ward from MemberSpace.com
- Travis Fischer
- Matt Buckley, from NiceThings.io
- Russell Brown
- Evandro Sasse
- Pradyumna Shembekar (PD), pradyumna.dev
- Noah Prail, eventOneHQ.com
- Robert Simplicio, Simplicio.com
- Colin Gray alitu.com
- Josh Smith, hellosift.com
- Ivan Curkovic
- Brian Rhea (Pronounced “Ray”)
- Shane Smith, dev.transistor.fm
- Austin Loveless
- Michael Sitver, letterjoy.co
- Paul Jarvis and Jack Ellis, usefathom.com
- Dan Buda danbuda.com
- Darby Frey
- Samori Augusto, thebicrowd.com
- Brad from Canada
- Sammy Schuckert
- Mike Walker
- Adam DuVander
- Dave Giunta (JOOnta)
- Kyle Fox GetRewardful.com
Justin has a special coupon for you: get 15% off your first year of podcasting transistor.fm/justin